Topic: Sentimental poetry - how to strike a balance?

All poetry is good poetry, when a writer is obviously trying hard, and sincere. And I'm reluctant to criticize or discourage anybody.

But I can be a little harder on myself....
I often find myself dealing with a sentimental topic, a "weepy" topic if you like, and I wonder how to strike a balance sometimes.
On the one side, I see a lot of this awfully obscure poetry, terribly technical and clever, and unless you are one of the lucky (or unlucky) initiates, you are going to have a helluva job figuring out what the hell and heck the author is on about.
At the other extreme, you run into this terribly sloppy, sentimental, weepy-weepy stuff, where you wonder if maybe "understatement" might have been more moving than the ubiquitous "overstatement".

My poem "Did you ever" strayed perilously close to the weepy boo-hoo. I thought. Hopefully it was saved by the genuine nature of the theme, and didn't fall right over the edge of the cliff.
I just think these are considerations we need to give a lot of thought to.  Deep feelings can be cheapened somehow, if we just shovel on the sentiment regardless.
Just my tuppence worth.

Re: Sentimental poetry - how to strike a balance?

I liked Did you ever. It was very personal. But I don't feel it was over done at all. So, no, it did not fall over the cliff.
People are very sentimental creatures. My wife adored Did you ever.
I struggle a bit with the obscure poetry. I often enough do not understand poems. Yours are simple, in a nice way. Easy to read and become absorbed into.

Well, thank you. I try...    Poetry is also one of those windows into the soul.
I guess that means mine is a simple soul! Yeah... I can live with that!

"And as far as expression of oneself is concerned, there are no rules, no right or wrong and no format to follow."

I kind of agree with that. I've often had this idea of an artist painter, quietly and contentedly expressing on canvas something that is within him. If he only shares it with close friends, does that make him less of a painter than his neighbor, who exhibits lesser work in every gallery and on every website he can find?
I have had members drift away from here, with the criticism that I wasn't going balls-to-the-walls in promoting this writer's site everywhere. They felt I should be "marketing" the site much more aggressively.
Oddly enough, I'm quite happy to scribble away for myself, as a way of thinking things through. I'm happy to share some of it. Some experiences are still too raw, too violent, too cruel.
I write when I feel like it. I share when I feel like it. I don't when I don't.
I just love poetry, and I love the gentleness that often comes with it.
Our society worships the Macho Man. I could play that role, and write only about helicopters and motorbikes and the struggle for power. Sure, I'm no stranger to violence, both physical and emotional. Not to mention political and cultural.
But that is only part of me.
Another part of me is the Dreamer. Who loves gentle people.
Poetry brings it out.