Topic: The lonely Butterfly (part 1)

4/6/2008
I recorded an evoca audio reading this morning for "The Lonely Butterfly (part 1)".
I was playing around, and I played the YouTube music embedded in the story (Kavatina, from the Deer Hunter) very softly in the back ground, while listening and checking the evoca audio. That produces a pleasing effect I think. 
I'm thinking it's a very personal matter of taste. Depends very much on the reader concerned. What one person might like, would annoy the pants of the next.
I'm wondering about offering TWO different evoca recordings in stories. One would be labeled (voice only), and the other might be labeled (voice+ music background effects)

What I have against that, is that it's going to get a bit cluttered above each story.

Hmmmm.....

Re: The lonely Butterfly (part 1)

I tried it, but it was confusing to me. I would want the version without the music.  I did enjoy that story.

Good. Music creates a mood. And so does writing. So do photos. Or video.
To marry it all together... that's not easy.  It can really easily descend into 'gimmicks'. Technically very clever, but lacking in substance.
YouTube is a challenge for me. ('francismeyrick' for the benefit of others reading this).

All good fun.

I really enjoyed Zuzanna's new audio recording (Failed Promise). I also went and played your first YouTube offering.
For my two cents worth, the sound effects on 'If you're good' are about as much as there should be. Seagulls, wind, waves, and the helicopter beat. That's fine. I was thinking of what you wrote about adding music, but I have to say, for me at least, that would be overkill. What you say about 'gimmicks' above, is very true. That is certainly the reason why I have found myself drifting away from other Internet sites, and I'm finding myself spending more time on this site. My wife (who is a little frightened of the Internet!) also says she finds it refreshing. It took me a little while, but now I can find my way around easily. I should have read the FAQ section early on. But I didn't. I like the 'view all works' command. I have been into your WSG several times, and I see you have hyperlinks from most of the stories, but not from others. I'm sorry, I have gone off subject. I like the progress on the site!

When I think of the lonely butterfly, and how to write about the thoughts it evokes, I think about the one that is the first flying in spring. That one hustled a little bit more than the second. Before you know it, there are swarms, looking for nectar, pollinating, looking for their mate. Now their whole field of vision is filled with other butterflies, presumably, half are potential mates. But what if in that midst of the swarm, the mate, to the hustling butterfly, is not inside their filed of vision? Loneliness in the density of all your species. As the spring turns to fall and winter, is the first flying butterfly the last to fly, now having no mate to be seen anywhere on the horizon? Even worse if some ignoramus mistook the hustling butterfly for a moth ?